It's good to be home again

For past couple of days I had to work on location and was away from home because commuting would have been insane, so I didn't get a chance to do anything this week in the garden. But today I escaped early and got home still with an hour of sunshine and just enough time to grab camera and take few shots. Just before I left I planted few hyacinths around new garden area but it was too dark by then to take pictures and they're still lovely today so wanted to share with you. Hopefully next spring it will be just as lovely because I'm also going to add daffodils and more hyacinths in the fall to the area as well as transplant tulips into the area. And speaking of tulips, can you see this lovely color? It's just peaking through so I can't wait to see it really in full bloom.And from this picture you can see I'll have quite a few of them soon! It's been really cold in the past couple of weeks so everything really slowed down on growth but hopefully these beauties will start going into full bloom soon. More lovely flowers are growing under my pine tree, but I have no idea what happened to my protective netting that was draped over them. It's no where in sight and my hubby said he didn't touch it. Wondering if we had help from unfriendly neighbors. I'll have to fix something to protect them fast before deer destroy them completely. And speaking of destroying things, here is one pot I thought I'd be replacing this year and it surprised me with new growth - my chives woke up! Now I know chives are perennial and they supposed to wake up each year but I completely neglected it all last year and didn't bother to feed it this spring and yet it's still growing. I'd better move it to a better soil and give it a chance to grow if it's trying on its own so hard :)

6 comments:

  1. Looking good!
    I think Chives can survive anything after what I put mine through. I bought chives and somehow forgot about them. I was busy doing other things and never transplanted them out of the nursery pot, and they rarely got water. I was surprised that they were the first sign of life in the garden this year. They were finally transplanted a couple of weeks ago and are doing fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chives were more of an afterthought for me because they came in a mixed pot with other herbs that I really wanted. Ironically enough everything else died off and chives lived. :)

      Delete
  2. Your flowers look good and I wish I planted more flowers sometimes. This year I am planting sun flowers for my daughter. You have made some serious progress the last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris - which variety are you planting for sunflowers? I have giant but they don't taste good - I just plant them for a nice backdrop and they'll be living wall for the new garden. I haven't found variety that I used to have in europe that really taste good when it's roasted.

      and thank you, it's finally starting to look like a garden. Hopefull in couple of more weeks it will start getting green and filled with plants.

      Delete
  3. I think my variety is called giant also. I just picked the one with the biggest flowers. I think it said its blooms are one foot across. I am not growing to eat, but just for my daughter since they are so big. I think they also said they grow 7 to 12 ft tall. Don't know if mine will get that big, but 12 feet would be insane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know chives was so hardy and easy to grow. Hubby and I love them so I better add some to our garden.

    ReplyDelete