Tuesday harvest

I picked few greens today so I can share with coworkers - salad greens and arugula, onions, broccoli and first kohlrabi.
 Both broccoli and kohlrabi came up to 3.5oz in weight so they'll be added to the brassica total.
 Greens were just at the 7oz mark (the white container did not count as it was zerowed with it)
 And another 8oz of onions that were pulled mostly from the new garden - only 1 red with largish bulb was from overwintered patch by the shed. Onions have been a disapointment so far this year.
I hope my coworkers will enjoy munching on it as much as I have picking :)

EDIT: I'm adding a picture of a broccoli after the main head was picked - growing side shoots.

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic, Jenny! :) I've been looking at the broccoli the last few days wondering how large the heads will get before trying to open and needing to be harvested. I suspect its a fine line....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the size because it depends on the variety, as in giant will have to grow huge crowns before harvesting. Mine were small but I saw signs that some yellow buds were showing so I harvested them. Had I waited until the weekend the head would have gone to full bloom. I do have large variety so I will post a picture of it once it's fully grown.

      Delete
  2. Nice harvest! Fresh broccoli is so wonderful. I tried to grow kohlrabi this past fall/ winter and it grew tall and flowered. I assume our really warm winter and early spring was the problem. Maybe I'll have better luck next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kohlrabi variety that I have only needs 50 days since planting and I didn't want it to get large because it tends to get woody and not taste too good afterwards. As soon as I saw signs of bolting i picked it.

      Delete
  3. The broccoli we planted just said broccoli. I don't know when to harvest it. We have four plants. Once you harvest it, does it grow more or is it done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - if you click on the broccoli picture you'll see that buds are pretty big on the head. just pick it before it starts to flower. It's typically between 45-60 days. Mine has side shoots that are growing on the stem after i picked main head - it's never large but they are good bites to eat.

      Delete