Heirlooms - courtesy of 1st Man.

There is one wonderful post that I think everyone should read - Two Men and a Little Farm that shows just how drastically our food supplies have changed in the past century, especially the heirloom varieties. The numbers are astounding! This is exactly why I plant only heirlooms and not hybrids - so I can keep the seed cycle and preserve them for later use.

Btw, those pictures of heirloom tomatoes and eggplants are amazing! I'm not going to have too many varieties of eggplants but I really do hope that my basket of tomatoes in August will be just as beautiful as that picture.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the link. I was so pleased the other day when I went to Home Depot and saw that they now sell quite a few heirloom varieties as plants now. I had to keep myself from buying a Mr. Stripey (I may go back lol). I'm hoping to get to the point where I can mostly save my own seeds or trade with others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying very hard to stay away from the stores these days for the very same reason - I want to keep buying different varieites! But unfortunately I'm completely out of space. :( But I do have Mr. Stripey growing :)

      Delete