First Cantaloupe, winter squash and yard-long noodle beans

I did an unscheduled run to the community garden to get few things from my neighbor's plot - Michelle is out of town and asked to pick her produce and deliver to the kitchen, which I did of course.
But while I was there, I also picked up my batch of zucchini, nice size cabbage, few tomatoes, hot cherry peppers and few of the winter squash - butternut. Yes, I could have left it on the vine longer, but I want to get some ready for eating when my sister is here, and they still need to "cure" in the sun so I picked them early. There are quite a few left on the vine and they'll be ready for picking at the end of September, so we'll keep those for winter.
But the highlight was my first cantaloupe for this year! I know it might seem strange, but it's a victory for me as usually I don't get to have them. Either groundhogs/rabits eat it, or it doesn't grow well. Well this time we got it, and it made my hubby very happy - it's his favorite melon.
And after all that bounty, I went to the CSA farm and pick some more (yes, I LOVE picking veggies and can't get enough) and it gave me a chance to spend 2 quiet hours on the fresh air - no people, no car noise. Just me and a huge field where I had to hunt for lemon-cucumbers lost in their vines and then 100 or so feet of yard-noodle bean  row.
Only few cucumbers were found, but a large bag of beans were picked and put in the fridge - it's all going back to NYC with the owner on Saturday once I bring it back to the farm - this way beans won't get too old for eating and won't be wasted, and they get stored in a cool fridge awaiting transport.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your melon. I could never grow them at my last house. I would get them occasionally, but it was far from a sure thing. Here they seem a lot easier. Which is good since I really love cantaloupe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you can get them growing in Boston (i thought it would be too cold). I was able to get couple small cantaloupes last year, but then vine died off suddenly so I'm happy to see multiple balls still green as I picked first. Now to keep it all critters away from it!

      Delete
  2. So much nice produce. Nice of you to pick for a friend out of town. Just picking would keep me busy!! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't mind one bit, it's always fun to see how things turned out, the smell of fresh veggies as you pick them is intoxicating :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful melon! And I'm with you on picking fruit & veg - just LOVE doing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After month of preparing, seeding, weeding, watering and caring this is truly the best part for me! we finally get to pick ripe, tasty veg!

      Delete