Few tomato varieties preview

I often get questions about varieties of tomatoes I grow at home. So here are some to preview from left to right far back row -- red Brandywine, Striped German, Anna Russian, beefsteak;
Next row - black giant, chocolate stripes, big mama (sauce type), Aunt Ruby German green, black Brandywine; next two mixed: Azoychka, purple heart, black from Tula, green zebra, black cherry, Kellogg's breakfast (orange), plum, Caspian pink, black plum, black prince, mortgage lifter.
Purples really are my favorite with Black Brandywine just a hair ahead, though chocolate stripes are really great tasting and definitely a keeper! Azoychka is refreshing and not too sweet; Kellogg's breakfast is the sweetest. Anna Russian is a solid ball with almost no seeds (far back). Black cherry and zebras are great for snacking and in salads. Mortage Lifter is for cooking or sandwiches.
There are other varieties that haven't ripened yet so as they come in I'll take more pictures.

12 comments:

  1. Wow! You sure do grow a variety of different tomatoes! I guess I need to try some different colored ones. Enjoy! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like different tasting types for mixing in salad, plus it makes really great sauce! Sweet tomatoes added with smoky really helps me avoid adding sugar to my marinara.

      Delete
  2. Impressive!! We don't have much variety this year, as our fun ones had a late start. Looking at your tomatoes, we've decided that we need more interesting varieties next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I imagine they would make a lovely salad when mixed together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been gorging on fresh tomato and cucumber salads daily! They really do taste great when they're this fresh.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for posting pictures and reviews of your tomatoes. You have a beautiful variety! I like to get other gardeners opinions on tomato varieties. I am obsessed with growing tomatoes and trying new varieties. How do you like Anna Russian, my Anna Russian tomatoes are still green? Is the black heart "Brad's Black Heart", I just got seeds for next year to try?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna Russian is very dense, with strong tomato taste that's good for sandwiches or sauce. It doesn't have as much acidity or spice like purple varieties but it's not a bad tasting tomato. A little bland for my tastebuds but it will be perfect for cooking. I don't know if it's "brads black heart" - this was a seedling I got at the local farmer market in sping on a whim and label just said "black heart". I do have Bull's Heart that is huge in comparison.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info on Anna Russian. What zone do you live in?

      Delete
  5. A beautiful variety. I have wanted to expand my tomato varieties for years but I never seem to get around to it in the spring. So every year I'm stuck with my same hybrid varieties. I really need to try some heirlooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I tried some hybrids but while they are disease resistant and uniform, they don't come close to flavors that I like in heirlooms.

      Delete