Meal from a pantry

I know I usually don't do posts about my meals but today is exception. First it's because I used some of the winter stash already. It was also first time I tried to make "cheesy" dish. It's considered normal in american culture to make meals with melted cheese but it's most definitely not my cup of tea so I've never made anything like this before. This dish was a combination of near al dente penne pasta, jar of meat sauce, jar of tomato sauce and a cheese concoction - light brown roux from butter and flour, add a cup of heavy cream and cup of milk, two cups of mix of 4 cheeses and melt it. Layered pasta first, meat sauce on top, then cheese sauce. Repeat with pasta, tomato sauce and cheese. Baked for 20 min at 375 oven. This was the result.
 Hubby seemed to like it, but said it was too much cheese and not enough meat so next time will need to adjust it. He'll be eating this for lunch and dinner tomorrow and maybe friday.
And a while back we went apple picking and I forgot to show first apple pie of the season so here it is.
 And speaking of left over apples, I was making more apple sauce and had a lot of cuttings from skin and cores but it was too dark outside to get it the composter so I put it outside on the deck for morning. But our motion lights came on just a few min ago and a visitor got snapped on camera munching on those cores. I guess by morning there won't be much left to get to the composter after all. Oh well, he needs to eat too.

6 comments:

  1. Hi! I don't like things too cheesy either but my husband thinks more cheese the merrier! Your pie is beautiful!!! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat melted cheese either as the texture just taste wrong to me, but my hubby likes it so once in a while I'll make lasagna or something like that for him. He seemed to like this dish. And thank you, pie was good :)

      Delete
  2. That little critter looks like he's enjoying those apples, though not nearly as much as your family. That pie looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That racoon is not little by any means! That's a full-size cake sheet in front of him!

      Delete
  3. I love to make apple pie. Yours looks lovely. And your visitor is one we see here or see evidence that they've been by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love making apple pies. And our new visitors moved in last fall and looks like they're not about to leave any time soon.

      Delete