This year trying to plant carrots have been a challenge. First, I made several "mats" using Granny's tutorial and planted it out. It worked - somewhat. Maybe because I put them out too early they were very slow germinating. Later in May I noticed something odd all over my garden beds - volunteer carrots sprouting where they don't belong. Very odd. I don't remember planting any in extra beds, certainly not in with my greens or in tomato bed. Then it dawned on me - last year I left several overwintered carrots go to bloom to get seeds. Well, I gathered them when they were dry and carried the rest to the back of the garden and just tossed them over the fence. So my entire path where I walked must have been "seeded" by left over on stalks. Oy vey. I don't even know what I have growing anymore. I guess I'll find out if they grow big enough to pick. One of them was Purple Dragon and another was Nantes. You can see two pictures - one is volunteer spot, and second "clean" is the one actually planted by me.