Bye-Bye Gazebo

One  night, a freakishly strong windstorm and all my plans are down the drain. Yes, that's how fast things can change on you and in a blink of an eye you wonder why you even bothered and spend all that money and energy and what's the point of doing it all...

Ok I confess, I'm very depressed right now.  Two days ago I was crawling around planting some flowers while watching my hubby finishing up some stone work and enjoying warm 72 degree weather. Then Mother Nature showed her fury and overnight we dipped into 20s as the polar vortex manage to reach  us with the speed of a racing car. And no I'm not exaggerating. Honestly I'm surprised there wasn't more damage in the area - just few powerlines and broken branches, garbage cans flew away, destroyed fencing etc. And in my back yard I lost my Gazebo. The same one that took us nearly a year to find and i loved it so much as it was so pretty with intricate leaf-work :(
This is what we woke up to this weekend during that storm and it took a while to recognize damage. It's hard to see as I took a shot from upstairs balcony (and yes it was snowing too) - you can see the gazebo flew a good distance and crash landed on the fallen oak.
So there we have it - total loss. Or as my hubby said he'll try to salvage pieces and maybe build something out of them like an entry way to the patio or something.. but for now we have to find a new one to buy. Just like that over $1100 down the drain. So my plans to have a first BBQ is also gone. Maybe it's for the better but I'm yet to see that silver lining. For now I see damage. And snow. Did I mention that my peach, nectarine and cherry in bloom? The extend of storm damage and effect on fruit trees is yet to be assessed and will see it later. Now I'll crawl back to bed and pretend world doesn't exist for few more hours.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, that is so sad. I would be devastated too. But all we can do when life throws us setbacks is carry on, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many setbacks in my life I'm afraid :( And of course will rebuild and carry on. Tonight I watched Pack of deer strip my apple trees :(

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry. This whole "winter is still here" reminder has been such a pain in the butt. I encouraged Kevin to put out our gazebo last week. The weather was so nice and I was thinking of sitting outside and reading. Luckily, it is in a rather sheltered location and didn't sustain any damage, but we worried about it all weekend as the winds howled. A friend of mine lost their patio table. It had a glass top and he discovered it shattered all over his deck yesterday. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are normally pretty sheltered by all the trees around us, but it felt like we had a mini-tornado this time around, the way it all whirled in the wind all over the yard. Our small patio table top also got moved but didn't break. Sorry to hear about your friends' loss.

      Delete
  3. Oh, Jenny - I'm so sorry about your gazebo. I always say that what I dread most when it comes to bad weather is the wind - it is definitely one of the most destructive forces. Hopefully you'll be able to find another one that you will love just as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We are going to do some searching this weekend to see what's available.

      Delete