Lost peas harvest to groundhog

Today we had a very rude awakening in the morning - my husband found a groundhog in the large garden. He must have been enjoying all-you-can-eat buffet for quite a while before we spotted him, because all strawberries that climbed outside the fence, cilantro plants that were growing outside among other herbs, all peas on the border were decimated. He literally pulled peas down and chomped all peapods leaving broken stalks.
 The few left over plants that were inside the garden that he didn't quite get gave me a tiny harvest - less than half of what I was hoping to pick this weekend. Very upset about it as it's my favorite snack food.
 Taking closer look around the house we found a brand new layer groundhog created - right in front of the garden entrance under the house. Sadly he's here to stay so my garden will suffer more losses.

10 comments:

  1. oh no! yesterday i saw a live groundhog just sitting by the side of the road. so weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This area has them everywhere. I don't want to kill them but really wish groundhog would pick another brunch area.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about the groundhog feasting on your garden. You can always trap him and relocate him. If not, you may not have much garden left. They can clean out a garden in no time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, we're definitely looking into getting have-a-heart trap to catch it.

      Delete
  3. Oh, no! Sorry to hear that. Hope groundhog does not relocate here!! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. let's hope you won't have to deal with something so destructive at your home

      Delete
  4. This happened to me, too! In fact, your photos could have been taken from my garden, the peas, the smooth depression under the fence. I wasn't sure whether I was dealing with a groundhog or rabbit, but I think now it's a groundhog. Rabbits can't eat that much, can they? I certainly can emphatize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rabbits definitely can eat a lot, but I found that groundhog is more selective. We have a small bunny in the garden and so far his damage is limited to my brassicas - but when he goes for the plant he'll eat it down to the soil level. Groundhog eats the best parts of the plants (peapods) and tramples everything else.

      Delete
  5. Too bad about the ground hog. We came home from vacation last night and I found the deer had eaten all the geraniums blossoms off the deck, all the orange daylily buds and hibiscus. Ground hog has new holes under the deck so no telling what its been eating.

    It's a constant battle isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! I'm sorry to hear about deer damage and lost flowers. I gave up on growing anything unprotected by them and water repellants work pretty well. Unfortunately groundhog got around them. And yes, it is constant battle that city folks don't face in large towns.

      Delete