Using what I grow for dinner

Now I know this blog is mostly for garden items but wanted to add one post that would show why I do my garden - home made meal that cost almost nothing. I made pirogi's tonight using the potatoes that I grew this year, one small sauteed onion mixed in the filling. Dough was done with 1 egg, 1.5 cups of water, pinch of salt, 1 table spoon of sour cream (you can skip it but i like that it makes dough smoother) and 4 cups of flour. I'm sure someone can calculate what it would really cost but i look at it from meal view - it gave me 4 full meals for me and my hubby. That's 2 dinners and 2 lunches for each of us.

This year we lost alot of our crops to the hurricane but I was still able to save a bit of those veggies, including 2 crates of potatoes - roughly 40 or so pounds of them. Now I know potatoes are cheap in stores but I also know that mine are pure of any pesticide because they were grown in organic environment. No chemicals were added. We've been using them since Irene arrived and I'm only now reaching bottom of my first create so plenty left over for the rest of the winter. And more available for future pirogi that my hubby loves so much :)

1 comment: