4th of July week Harvest

This part of the harvest was picked on Tuesday afternoon. Potatoes were a bit too much for scale to be weighted at once so had to divide them into two batches.
Potatoes - 6 lbs 2.7oz; carrots 11.9oz; cucumbers - 13.5oz; beans - 1lb 8.6oz
Then on 4th of July I had to clean out one of my old garden beds as I noticed that it's infested. I pulled purple potatoes and all carrots out of it which is in two different pictures. Aren't those purple potatoes pretty? They don't make good mash but they are definitely colorful on a plate.
In addition to the potatoes I picked a handful of onions, beets, last of the broccoli, few squashes, pepper, first Ichiban eggplant and one single Roma tomato.
Totals from this group were Potatoes - 3lbs 11.7 oz; squash 1lb .4oz, pepper 2.4oz; Eggplant - 3.2 oz - which category does this one fits in? Broccoli - 2.5oz; Carrots - 1lb 3.2oz; Onions - 1lb 3.8oz, beets - 7.8oz
And then on Friday I picked few more items - yellow squash and zucchini - 1lb 9.4 oz, cucumbers - 15.7 oz, yellow wax and green beans - 1lb 88oz, and few cherry tomatoes at 2.2oz.

Not recorded was a large shopping bag of cucumbers harvested from community garden and given to the food pantry. My guess it was close to 8 lbs of them. I might edit this post come Sunday as I'll have more to harvest before Monday general harvest post.

Edit: Saturday pickings from community garden - cucumbers and a zucchini.
 15.4oz zucchini and 2 lbs 8.7oz cucumbers
Sunday pickings from my garden - beans, zucchini and yellow squash, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes and garlic.
 Squash and zucchini 2 lbs 11.2oz; tomatoes - 7.4oz; cucumbers 3 lbs 10.5 oz.
 Peppers at 2.8oz; beans at 1 lb 9.1oz; garlic at 8.3 oz.
 Thankfully beans are tapering off because I'm running out of space to place them. Zucchini and squash are easy - they are for giveaways. And looks like I'll have tons of pickles this summer (mental note don't plant as many cucumber plants).

17 comments:

  1. Wow what a bumper crop. Pretty impressive.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, this is trully my favorite time of the year :)

      Delete
  2. Nice harvest, Jenny! I just got two more tomatoes, and I see two more that are nearly ready, so I think tomato season is nearing at last. I'm getting too many yellow summer squash, and the zucchinis are piling up in the refrigerator. Last year I didn't get enough, so I guess I'm making up for it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Granny! I have a bit too much green beans and squash is piling up as well but there are also alot of hands around me waiting to take them :) I'm still waiting for true tomatoe (not counting roma or san marzano because flavor is incomparable)

      Delete
    2. Mr. Granny and I each got a sliced tomato with dinner, and they didn't disappoint! They were the Bloody Butcher, small but really flavorful. In another day or two we'll get a Marglobe Supreme, which is larger.

      Delete
    3. I mean that so far I've been getting paste-tomatoes and they don't taste good fresh but very good in cooking. I think first one will be Black Stripes but i could be wrong of course :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Jenny, You are getting a super harvest! I want to give up in this heat but it is only suppose to be in the 80's next week! Three cheers! Purple potatoes are striking! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy, heat is harsh and I spend an hour each day watering my garden (i don't have soaking hose) but it's worth it. I do hope we'll get more frequent rains thought.

      Delete
  4. Great harvests Jenny! It looks like your garden is in full swing! I planted some purple potatoes too this year. I can't wait to see what they look like. Yours are really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they are very striking, but i still prefer yukon or white for taste.

      Delete
  5. Jenny those purple potatoes are beautiful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, they are very pretty and colorful but i'm still a fan of yukons.

      Delete
  6. Wow! That's quite an impressive haul!

    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog (http://GardenofAaron.com). I'd like to exchange blogroll links, but don't see an email address by which I contact you to suggest a link exchange. (Thus this post...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Guacamole! Your garden must be gigantic! Those purple spuds are so *shiny.*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The purple potatoes were freshly cleaned so they looked shiny, but the color is actually true in the picture. And my garden is good size but not huge = alot less space than Daphne's combined beds :)

      Delete
  8. Wow you've got a great harvest! I love the purple potatoes.

    ReplyDelete