Just a short update on what's going on with our garden expansion - my hubby ordered wood for boxes last week and it arived on Friday so he's been busy measuring, cutting and building my garden boxes. It's not a small job considering how many and how large these boxes are but he's up for a challenge. Almost completed as you can see on the picture. He still has to do some joints in the middle and then add supports to keep sides from "bowing" out under presure from dirt. And speaking of dirt, I'm yet to find a place where it's not going to cost us an arm and a leg for it :( So far this has been one very expensive project since I did not want to use treated wood and we went with ceder 8" and 10" wide - which is not cheap by any means. For dirt I want to go with 2/3 of top soil and 1/3 compost. Hopefully it will be a good mix. Of course there are still posts to be installed for fencing and to line up bottom from groundhogs but it's a good start! I do hope it can be completed in next couple of weeks as spring planting is almost on us and I'm ready with my seedlings! They are doing pretty good, some died off but that was expected of course. As you can see I have my cold-weathered veggies and greens almost ready to go outside. And here are the herb mix that is doing just fine. Thyme is doing best of them all so far. I also started next batch of cold-loving greens as well. They are a bit leggy but it's ok, they'll be fine at the end.
And I do have a new addition that I did not mention before - my kafir lime tree! My sister sent it to me for christmas present but since I wasn't sure if it would survive I didn't want to take any pictures or mention it just yet. But it's been doin good, droped off some leaves at first but then new growth started coming out and it's bright and green. Hopefully in couple of years I might even have a lime!